|Holy Sepulchre Cemetery,
On August 1, 1860, Father Corry,
founder and first pastor of St. John the Evangelist Church, purchased the
first ten acres of land for a parish cemetery. It was laid out in small
lots, and its first interment took place on September 5, 1860. In 1869,
another ten acre field was purchased, and in 1922 twenty more acres of land
were purchased and a new road was constructed for its entrance. In 2005
the first above-ground crypt was erected in a new section for mausoleums.
In 1924, after the establishment
of the Church of St. Joseph (1915) and the Church of the Holy Spirit (1922),
it was decided to change the name of St. John’s Cemetery to Holy Sepulchre
Cemetery, welcoming other parishes to bury their dead there.
The cemetery is elevated 312
feet above the Hudson River and has gentle slopes to the north and south,
providing an unsurpassed view. Facing east one sees the broad green fields
of Rensselaer County with the Berkshire Mountains in the distance. Looking
to the south, one sees the beautiful Catskill Mountains rising above the
Hudson River. Looking to the west, there is a view of the City of Rensselaer
with the Empire State Plaza in Albany on the skyline. The cities of Troy,
Watervliet and Cohoes are visible in the view to the north of the cemetery.
The first rays of the morning
sun kiss the face of the crucified Christ at the cemetery’s highest
point, and the setting sun casts its long shadow of Christ’s cross
over the graves of our beloved dead, which include all the Religious Sisters
of Mercy from this region.
Each year on Memorial Day about 300 of the faithful gather at the Our Lady
of Fatima Shrine to celebrate the Eucharist. Daily dozens of visitors arrive
to pray at the grave of loved ones. You are most welcome to visit this “holy
ground” anytime. Holy Sepulchre Cemetery is accessible twenty-four
hours of the day, seven days of the week.
directions or any other information concerning the cemetery, simply call
the parish office at (518) 465-0482, extension 11.